Retell:
Every Tuesday we would all gather after breakfast and head down to the professors house. Once we arrived we would all be seated in the study. The topic for the day was “The Meaning of Life”. Every subject that the professor would talk about was mostly from experience, most of the subjects were about love, work, community, family, aging, forgiveness, and finally death. There were never any grades given according to Mitch, but we would always get oral exams on the topic that we were learning at the end of each week. The teacher (Morrie) expected you to ask questions and to answer some as well. At the end of the year we didn't have any exams but were expected to fill out a full page length about what we remembered the most about during the year. My topic was "The last class with my professor”. I was the only student in the class and my name is Mitch. It was the year 1979 I and a group of people were all sitting on the main campus of the University waiting impatiently to graduate. We wore long blue nylon robes. After waiting for the speeches to end we were finally able to graduate as the seniors at Brandeis University in the city of Waltham , Massachusetts . Everybody threw their hats in to the air in celebration. After the ceremony I introduced my professor to my parents. Morrie was a very small man and loved to take very small steps at a time, he had sparkling blue-green eyes, thinning silver hair that dropped down to his forehead, big ears, triangular nose, and tufts of graying eyebrows, his teeth were crooked and his lower teeth were pushed back to where it looked like he had gotten into a fight with somebody, his smile was as if I had told him the first joke he ever heard on earth. He tells my parents how much of a special person I was to him and how I am one of the people he likes to call “The Good People”. He mentions how I took every class that he offered and did very well. Before we said our final good bye I gave him a present, a tan briefcase with his initials on the front of it. I thought that I didn't want to forget him but what I really think it was that I didn't want him to forget me and the good times we had together. He hugged me and once he pulled away I realized that he was crying and he asked if I would always stay in touch with him and without any hesitation I said "Of course I will".
Relate:
I think that it is impossible for me to relate to this book, because the school that I go to has a very different way of teaching kids, we have exams at the end of the year, we don’t have the same teacher teaching every subject that we take. I also don’t know anybody in my life time that has ever been seriously sick and was dying from that illness. But the one thing that I can for sure relate to is the empathy that I have for Morrie because I feel sorry for him but at the same time I do realize that it is time for him to go, and in a time in your life you are going to have to realize that what God is telling you is that you have done your job well on earth and it is time to come join me. I know this because I have recently experienced my favorite uncle’s death it was a very sad moment for me and my family.
Reflect :
This is one of my favorite biographies that I have ever read. I say this because I love the way he thinks, the way he encourages people to make things perfect and not be the same as everybody else. Also the way he focuses on the little things to make them perfect. I love his perspective in life, the way he see’s everything on earth as being something special. I would personally change my way of thinking to the way Morrie thinks in a heart beat because he knows how to make every part of your life worth while.
Nice overview of what you read. Sounds like quite an interesting book choice. Keep it up!
ReplyDelete